Thursday, August 22, 2013

Rash Update

   This has been the longest week I've had in a long time.  Probably since we figured out that Abigail had a milk sensitivity.  I told you that we took her to the doctor on Monday morning about her weird rash.  And I told you that the rest of Monday was rather unpleasant.  Well, unpleasant has persisted.

Tuesday bumps

   She has continued to cry off and on (mostly on) all day, every day.  When she isn't crying, she is alternately clinging to me for dear life and lying in the floor limply.  This is not like my sweet girl.  She is typically happy, social, and wild.  She is not a snuggler, sadly.  She does not have a fear of strangers.  She doesn't do anything quietly.  I know, many of you have babies with different temperaments, and are rolling your eyes at me complaining about my baby crying, but since that's not like her at all, I know that when she acts like this there is something very wrong.

Tuesday bumps

   I called the pediatrician's office this afternoon to ask the nurse how long I should anticipate this to last.  She seemed concerned that Abigail was still having symptoms, and wanted us to come in an hour later.  So we went.  We saw the same doctor that we did on Monday, which was helpful because he knew what she'd presented with then.  He checked her over again and declared she was fine.  He said that the measles typically last 10+ days, so this might as well.  X(

Wednesday bumps

   I was smart enough to ask a few more questions this time around.  I asked exactly what component of this vaccine had caused the reaction.  He said it was nothing in the serum or any chemical, but was her body's immune response to one of the actual diseases, likely measles because of her rash.  I was going to ask what that meant for the later dose of this vaccine and he beat me to it.  He didn't recommend that I skip it, but insinuated that perhaps that would be a choice that I (and he) might make, and offered that when the time came he would be happy to provide whatever documentation was necessary to obtain a medical exemption.  He said there was a chance there would be no reaction at all, but there was a chance it could be even worse than this.  Things to think about.

Wednesday bumps

   While of course I'm glad that she's improving and there are no other complications, I was clinging to the hope that we were about done with this.  Every morning when I go get her out of bed, I hope that the rash will be gone.  Now I know I may not be even halfway there.  Talk about a buzzkill.  Chris has been great to take the wheel in the evenings and let me be a worthless lump on the couch for much of the evening, but I am just. so. tired.  I can feel myself getting emotional about stupid things, and I can recognize that is from fatigue.  Today I was so tired that I broke down and took a nap while she was taking her morning nap.  I have a million things that I should have been doing, but I just couldn't.  And it did help some.  Thankfully, tomorrow is Friday and we'll have Daddy home with us for the weekend! Two-on-one is always better!

No comments:

Post a Comment